Genetically Modified v Cloning
What is genetically modified?
- except humans
- genetic material has been altered
- not by natural mating or natural recombination
- key regulations: EC Regulation 1829/2003 & EU Directive 2001/18/EC
What is cloning?
- producing genetically identical individuals of an organism
- either naturally (through asexual reproduction) or
- artificially ( through copies of cells or DNA fragments)
- key regulatory bodies: European Food Safety Authority, European Parliament & European Commission